Sunday – 15th October

A pretty grey start with low cloud, southerly wind and drizzle.

The forecast was set to improve, although never likely to be winchable, so we got the toys out & DI’d everything in case a suitable slot arrived.

We eventually took the first launch at about 11:00 just to see how bad the launches and landings were. As it turned out the launch & approach were fine, but cloudbase was stubbornly below 1500ft so the tug and P70 were parked up to wait for the cloud to lift or to break up.

At 13:30 we tried again with Steve Kohnstamm and a BUGC trial lesson being towed to 2000ft just clear of cloudbase with the cloud layer starting to break up as well. One more 2000ft T/L gave the cloud enough time to brake up properly so that Steve could do his 3000ft T/L and David Jesty could take the DG505 for some spin training.

The late start meant a late finish with the las approach into the setting sun a little after 18:00

Thanks to Steve K for flying the T/Ls, Chris E for tugging and David J as 2nd instructor.

Greg was also lurking & running the launchpoint.

(The DG505 should be in the workshop for its annual next weekend under the watchful eye of Tim. If anyone is able to help – no particular skills necessary – can they get in touch via the club office)


Posted in Flying.